Web lists-archives.com

Re: [PHP] Any reason why printf() does not support formats with thousands separator?

Ryan Pallas wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 10, 2017 at 8:40 AM, Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> John Iliffe wrote:
>>> Try
>>> php -r "printf(\"%.2f\", 232323.4567);"
>>> 232323.46
>> That works, but doesn't do what I want - add thousands separators :-)
> From the manual [1]: "An alternate padding character can be specified
> by prefixing it with a single quote (')." and doesn't mention using it
> for thousands like the C printf does.

I had not actually read that bit, but I had noticed that the thousands
separator character was not mentioned (as opposed to the C version).

It just seems such a really odd omission, so I got curious as to why.  I
wonder if anyone's written a fully C-compliant printf() for php?

Per Jessen, Zürich (23.9°C)