Web lists-archives.com

Re: [PHP] difference between indexed and associative arrays?

> On Apr 4, 2017, at 3:09 PM, Kevin Waterson <kevin.waterson@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> <?php
>        $a1 = array( 'one'=>'koala', 'two'=>'dingo', 'three'=>'kangaroo',
> 'four'=>'kookaburra', 'sixty'=>'wallaby' );
>        $a2= array( 'koala', 'gecko', 'bilbi', 'crocodile', 'wallaby' );
>
>        $diff = array_diff( $a1, $a2 );
>
>        print_r( $diff );
>

> On Wed, Apr 5, 2017 at 7:54 AM, Jeffry Killen <jekillen@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Is there a function that will produce the difference between indexed and
>> associative arrays, without actually testing for string or integer indices?
>>
>> (Although I realize that arrays can be mixed string and integer indeces.)
>>
>> Thank you for time and attention.
>> JK
>>
>> --

To answer the replies,

And associative array would be looped with foreach
and an indexed array would be looped through with for and an iterator.

from examples above:
$a1 is an associative array so it would be looped through with foreach
and
$a2 is an indexed array so it would be looped through with a for loop
with an integer iterator.

So, I want to know before hand what type of loop to use on an unanticipated
array type.

This example I am assuming could be valid, where $a3[0] == 'one';
and $a3[3] == 'four':
$a3 = array('one', 'two'=>'two', 'three'=>'three', 'four');

Thanks again for time and attention
JK