Web lists-archives.com

Re: [PHP] Catch line indetation

> Date: Friday, October 28, 2016 12:09:31 +0100
> From: Ashley Sheridan <ash@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> On 28 October 2016 12:01:16 BST, Narcis Garcia
> <informatica@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hello, I have a string (I quote here only) as:
>>
>> '   <table>...</table>'
>>
>> As you can see there are 3 spaces at the beginning, but it could
>> be 0 or
>> 4 or any number of spaces.
>> How can I get a string with only the initial spaces part?
>>
>> '   <table>...</table>' -> '   '
>> 'hello' -> ''
>> ' hello' -> ' '
>>
>> Thanks.
>
> Have you tried regular expressions? Something like:
>
> ^( )*[^ ]
>
> The first captured match is the number of spaces, from 0 to any
> amount. Not the space between the brackets and before the closing
> square bracket

You need to take into consideration that "whitespace" can be created
by more than the simple "space" (ascii 32) character. A "[horizontal]
tab" (ascii 9) is common, but also look at the top of php trim
function documentation:

  <http://php.net/manual/en/function.trim.php>

to see the characters that it handles as "whitespace". While "trim"
does the opposite of what you're after, you could likely use the
ctype_space function to accomplish your need:

  <http://php.net/manual/en/function.ctype-space.php>

e.g., by iterating through the string until it returns "false". Also,
"strpos" could be useful.