Web lists-archives.com

Re: [PHP] Many Small Files or Larger Utility Files

On Tue, Jun 21, 2016 at 3:49 AM, Stephen <stephen-d@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I have made a number of web sites using PHP and mySQL. These included a
> control panel for adding and maintaining content.
>
> I am stepping up and creating a site that will require sessions, private
> areas and user registration functions.
>
> I have looked at samples and note that they all use many small files. I
> see that as being difficult to manage.
>
> But I have also looked at the code for a PHP bulletin board. Many, many
> small files, so I see that it is a common practise. But I see it as
> complicated and difficult to manage.
>
> For my control panel code I have all the routines, about 10, to process
> POSTS in one file. It works fine.
>
> Now activity is low, but that will also be the case with my new site.
>
> So my question: Is small, single function, files the best practise, or I
> am just fine in combing many functions into larger "library" files.
>
> Thank you for your thoughts.

I think multiple files is more manage-able than having large file.
cache/accelerator could help, but it seems your prod server don't have
one.  How about just write using multiple files, but have a script
somewhere that merge all of them in a single file before uploading to
server?