Web lists-archives.com

Re: a curse on OS sierra and MySQL?

On 12/2/2016 17:58, Martin Mueller wrote:
Alas, running the stop and start commands under sudo makes zero difference.

?! The cited page recommends more than sudo starts and stops, eg ...

|unset TMPDIR mysql_install_db |

Did you try that? Did you check the pid setting in my.cnf, eg pid-file=/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.pid? I believe you need to ensure that the pid file specified in my.cnf exists and that the mysql daemon owns it ...

mkdir /var/run/mysqld
touch /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.pid
chown -R mysql:mysql /var/run/mysqld

Also see http://superuser.com/questions/159486/how-to-kill-process-in-mac-os-x-and-not-have-it-restart-on-its-own

This is a very frustrating problem, and I hope somebody in the MySQl documentation department will take a look at it. It’s  cleary a problem that has been around for years because the Web is full of complaints and tips. But there doesn’t seem to be any convergence a bout a diagnosis or a likely cure. And there is nothing in the MySQL documentation that draws attention to the probem.

In my case, I’m double frustrated because some months ago my MySQL application broke around this problem, and then a couple of weeks ago it cured itself when I somewhat arbitrarily picked up an earlier version of my installation from Time Machine.
That suggests the problem arose from a change in your app, or a setting change that occurred in a MySQL upgrade. To show that this is a common problem that MySQL docs ought to address, you'll need to identify the setting that's gone awry.

PB