Web lists-archives.com

Re: Update to Percona CVE-2016-6662 Vulnerability Communication

Am 16.09.2016 um 00:21 schrieb Johan De Meersman:
----- Original Message -----
From: "Reindl Harald" <h.reindl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, 16 September, 2016 00:12:26

frankly - mysqld_safe needs to go away and life is beautiful without for
years here and yes taht worked for mysql too before switch to MariaDB

to say it clear: running *any* code as root for a service binding to a
port above 1024 is idiotic by definition

I agree, and I'm happy to say that the release notes for 8.0 mention that it has finally gone away. That doesn't change the fact, however, that there are countless installations out there that use it, which is whom I was targeting with that mail :-)

Is that service description you pasted the one that comes with the MariaDB package, or did you roll it yourself ?

my own one shipped by our internal rpm package

used it more or less identical from 2011 where Fedora switched to systemd, some security features got added over time (my side as well as implementation in systemd)