Web lists-archives.com

Re: parallel installations of mysql

2016/07/02 18:49 ... Martin Mueller:
It’s clear from Section 6.6 of the Reference manual that I need to make sure that the new installation differs from the old one with regard to the data directory, the port number, the socket, the shared memory-base-name, and the pid-file.

It’s less clear to me where to change these setting. In the .dmg version of a Mac version, you can’t make any choices. I don’t know whether it’s a bug or a feature, but the button for customizing an installation doesn’t work.

So the other option is the .tar file. There are a lot of files in that directory, but no file that draws attention to itself as the file where you make these changes.

Some of the instructions are obscure to folks like me. What is a good port number? Will anything do, or is there a list somewhere? What do I call an alternate pid file?

Since I use Windows and not Mac, not all my experience is relevant, but there is a file, that for wIndows is called "my.ini" but the original name is "my.cnf", which is full of stuff. For a while I ran both 5.5 and 5.6, with port 3306 for the former and 3307 for the latter. There is on this machine a top-level directory "ProgramData", and the version-5.6 files are under "\ProgramData\MySQL\MySQL Server 5.6" (yuck, backslash). I imagine for version 5.7 there is to be "\ProgramData\MySQL\MySQL Server 5.7". This directory is named in "my.ini". The PID file is under this directory.
Maybe some of this maps onto the Mac version.
(Iself have begun to use SQLite for some purposes.)