Web lists-archives.com

Re: [MPlayer-dev-eng] mplayer 1.4.0 release

On 19.04.2019, at 15:17, sylvain.bertrand@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

>    - vulkan video output (without those horrible GLSL shader -> VULKAN
>      shaders c++ brain f*cked translators)

If someone's particularly bored, sure.
But otherwise it's a waste of time compared to sticking to GL(ES).
We're not limited by draw call CPU overhead (unless there are subtitles we have only one), and for getting optimal GPU performance Vulkan requires special optimization for each GPU architecture (which game developers have taken a head-in-the-sand attitude towards once they realized just how much effort that is, which is one of the causes for worse to significantly worse performance of many games in Vulkan mode, especially on mobile platforms).
The GL -> vulkan wrapper libraries are likely to almost always do a better job than we could with the amount of time people have to spend on it.