Web lists-archives.com

Re: [MPlayer-dev-eng] Size of codecs_t, CODECS_MAX_FOURCC

On Mon, 29 May 2017 21:36:34 +0300, Lauri Kasanen <cand@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
> Having just updated mplayer, I had a quick look at its current size.
> The builtin codec arrays take 700kb currently.

updated it how? did you --disable-mencoder and also disable all of the
encoders in ffmpeg compile? that usually shrinks mplayer binary size
considerably. also check what libs are linked in and strip debug

> The biggest offender, fourcc, could be reduced: the largest codec in
> codecs.conf includes 71 fourccs, less than the 92 currently set as the
> max. Is there any reason to use such a high number? Does some external
> dll codec use that many?

ugh 71 fourccs , for mpeg2.

afaik there is no binary codec that supports 92 fourccs. most codecs
are made to support their companies specific products only, usually
only supporting a dozen fourccs max.

except for ffdshow ... but i hope no one is using ffdshow with mplayer.
if they are using ffdshow with mplayer, they should let me know.

> Dropping it to the 71 would save 100kb. 72 or 80 would be more "round",
> saving less but maybe giving some headroom to add fourccs to that
> largest codec.

is there a way to change the code without reducing the max fourcc
number, so that it does not require that much size in the binary?

unfortunately, i think we will find more mpeg2 fourcc in the wild in
the future, so i am not for reducing this max fourcc number.

please see my binary codec fourcc list here, it will show you the sad
state of codecs, fourccs, fourcc registration, etc.

those are mostly from vfw codecs only. i have not even touched the
surface of qtx or dshow codecs.

MPlayer-dev-eng mailing list