Web lists-archives.com

Re: [MPlayer-dev-eng] Unicode font for gmplayer

Thomas Gaukel wrote on Sun, 28 Aug 2016 01:17:35 +0200:

> IB recently increased the number of characters that are possible in the
> gmplayer fnt/png file combination, as discussed in ticket #2303.

> Meanwhile I did a little digging to find some fonts, and did indeed find
> some useful bitmap fonts from X.org, which are public domain:

> [...]

> Another interesting project might be GNU Unifont, but the 16 pixel
> height doesn't really fit any existing skin.

I'll have a look at it.

At the time gmplayer and the skins where introduced font image files may have
been a good idea, especially when thinking of some 20 or 30 characters.

Now that gmplayer's skins are handling UTF-8 I'm asking myself whether
utilizing already installed fonts wouldn't be a smarter approach. I currently
don't know how much work it would be to make gmplayer directly render fonts
and what the impact would be for skins, but I'm under the impression that it
would be worth considering it.

Ingo