Web lists-archives.com

Re: [MPlayer-dev-eng] mplayer's size

On Sat, Feb 13, 2016 at 06:04:53PM +0200, Lauri Kasanen wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Feb 2016 16:41:28 +0100
> Reimar Döffinger <Reimar.Doeffinger@xxxxxx> wrote:
> > > Most of rela.dyn seems to be from variables, likely from .data.
> >
> > Large tables with pointers.
> > Not compiling as PIE should avoid most of them I'd guess.
>
> Thanks, I'll add --disable-relocatable to my configure args.

Hm, I hope you are aware of the security implications though.
Also, you might be able to reduce them even more by still not
using -pie but compiling with -fPIC.
Also if you haven't gone through the configure options, there is
also --enable-hardcoded-tables.
It will increase binary size and .rodata significantly though,
but will reduce .data (most significantly sbr_qmf_window_us)
and .bss.