Web lists-archives.com

Re: [MPlayer-dev-eng] VAAPI/X11 video output driver

On 29/11/15 11:43, wm4 wrote:
On Sun, 29 Nov 2015 00:17:38 +0000
Mark Thompson <sw@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I didn't see that before my previous message.  I guess I could have a
look at mpv to see what happens differently, but that could be an
arbitrarily large timesink.  Unclear how to proceed.

mpv's vo_vaapi is based on the mplayer-vaapi repo's (just as your
patches), but in addition to mpv's changes over mplayer in general, the
vaapi code has been heavily changed. mpv also doesn't recommend using
vo_vaapi at all, but prefer vo_opengl EGL interop instead. The vaapi
video output API is pretty crap and tends to be buggy. It doesn't
prevent tearing in all cases either. I don't think anyone at Intel
really cares about the output API.

Well, how should we actually continue here, then?

The mplayer-vaapi-derived version is perfect for me on all the platforms I personally have (only Intel), but clearly fails on some others. The problems Andy had did let me fix one issue which I hadn't found, but mainly show that it doesn't work properly for him. Given that most of it isn't my code, I have little clue what I should be looking at to fix it. I would be happy if it were accepted as-is (with known problems), or if someone else could like to take it over to try to fix the breakage.

Alternatively, the original independent version I wrote* is much simpler (no OSD, no alternate output types), and as a result might be more likely to work because there are fewer things to go wrong (particularly around combining surfaces, which it doesn't do). If people would prefer that then I could relatively easily clean it up to a testable state? (Also fixing some of the problems found in the other version.)

Note that my actual aim here is to get sensible VAAPI encode in ffmpeg, and I would prefer not to get excessively distracted from that. I was hoping that writing the mplayer driver would be a good first step in understanding how those pieces fit together, and could also have some value in itself. (If anyone is interested, I have a working but ill-integrated VAAPI decode helper for ffmpeg (allows accelerated decode when transcoding - not very useful in itself).)

Thanks,

- Mark

* Attached to the first post in this thread <http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/mplayer-dev-eng/2015-November/073190.html>.