Web lists-archives.com

Re: [MPlayer-dev-eng] Bluray input with -demuxer lavf

On Sun, Sep 21, 2014 at 11:47:07PM +0200, wm4 wrote:

> > >It was just a technical suggestion how to fix this. Why solve a problem
> > >twice?
> >
> > It's appreciated and I considered such a solution.
> > However I decided it feels more like a hack/workaround for an FFmpeg bug and I'd rather fix FFmpeg to correctly use the APIs it already offers, assuming I manage to.
>
> Well, the bad news is that it's impossible to seek reasonably in files
> with timestamp reset issues with the libavformat API, unless you use
> byte seeks. In my fork, I actually force byte seeks for SEEK_FACTOR
> seeks in mpeg/mpegts files with libavformat for this reason.
>
> (At least the problem sounded like timestamp reset issues - lots of
> small m2ts files, which libbluray will basically concatenate.)
>
> I would say there are two possible solutions:
> a) hack libbluray, and make them rewrite mpegts timestamps to playback
>    time (then libavformat could seek without issues)
> b) add a seeking API to libavformat, that can do some form of relative
>    seeks (as typically needed by players)
>
> Apologies if I guess the problem wrong.

As I said, for RTP and ASF for example FFmpeg already has ways to
seek simply based on the stream-layer seek function.
I would expect that it is intended to be usable for cases like
Bluray as well.
I'll just have to figure out why it does not work.