Web lists-archives.com

Re: [MPlayer-dev-eng] Bluray input with -demuxer lavf

On Sun, 21 Sep 2014 22:33:57 +0100
Reimar DÃffinger <Reimar.Doeffinger@xxxxxx> wrote:

> On 21 September 2014 15:29:18 GMT+01:00, wm4 <nfxjfg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >On Sun, 21 Sep 2014 16:18:49 +0200
> >Grozdan <neutrino8@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >seeking

> >cache, it

> >and it's
> >guess

> >seek in ffplay you'd get the same issue.

> >> We're trying to fix mplayer/ffplay issues, not migrate to mpv
> >
> >It was just a technical suggestion how to fix this. Why solve a problem
> >twice?
>
> It's appreciated and I considered such a solution.
> However I decided it feels more like a hack/workaround for an FFmpeg bug and I'd rather fix FFmpeg to correctly use the APIs it already offers, assuming I manage to.

Well, the bad news is that it's impossible to seek reasonably in files
with timestamp reset issues with the libavformat API, unless you use
byte seeks. In my fork, I actually force byte seeks for SEEK_FACTOR
seeks in mpeg/mpegts files with libavformat for this reason.

(At least the problem sounded like timestamp reset issues - lots of
small m2ts files, which libbluray will basically concatenate.)

I would say there are two possible solutions:
a) hack libbluray, and make them rewrite mpegts timestamps to playback
   time (then libavformat could seek without issues)
b) add a seeking API to libavformat, that can do some form of relative
   seeks (as typically needed by players)

Apologies if I guess the problem wrong.