Web lists-archives.com

Re: Browser vendors win war with W3C over HTML and DOM standards

On 2019-05-28 15:09, Sailfish wrote:
My bloviated meandering follows what Don Spam's Reckless Son graced us with on 5/28/2019 11:30 AM:
Sailfish wrote:
REF: https://www.zdnet.com/article/browser-vendors-win-war-with-w3c-over-html-and-dom-standards/

[excerpt quote=\"
An industry group made up the four major browser vendors, such as Apple, Google, Microsoft, and Mozilla, have won a tug-of-war with the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C), the standards body for the World Wide Web, effectively proving that without their support, the W3C's ability to regulate web standards is nonexistent.
\" /]
When competitors own standards criteria, 'standards' becomes an oxymoron.

Also, I always preferred W3C documentation over WHATWG's.

The article indicates that the named browser vendors had cooperated to produce their own standard because they did not like the one W3C had come up with. That is not necessarily a bad thing, you know the saying "A camel is a horse designed by a committee"?  I have no idea what camel W3C came up with but if the browser vendows refuse to implement it, I'd assume there was something fundamentally wrong with it.

Point taken but whole reason W3C came about was due to the Wild West browserisms implemented by different vendors, e.q., (Microsoft marquee tag, Netscape Layer tag, &c) and while most of the browser 'players' are using Apple-developed Webkit engine, Google ditch Apple's version and create their own.

I'm not lamenting it, just expecting more incompatibilities to creep in as the media continues to evolve.

Standards are necessary, the only themes worth discussing are which ones. interoperability and safety are primary, convenience is nice to have. Esthetics, kewlness, etc and so on so forth are whatever the vendor wants so long as they don't compromise safety, interoperability or convenience.

Model: the NMRA's Standards and Recommended Practices, which have made model trains about as nearly plug'n'play as toys can be. The vendors realised early on that by following these standards they could sell more product. The ones that tried to create sandboxes went broke.

Have a good day. Great spring weather here, hope it's good where you are, too. :-)

--
Wolf K
kirkwood40.blogspot.com