Web lists-archives.com

Re: Browser vendors win war with W3C over HTML and DOM standards

Sailfish wrote:
REF: https://www.zdnet.com/article/browser-vendors-win-war-with-w3c-over-html-and-dom-standards/

[excerpt quote=\"
An industry group made up the four major browser vendors, such as Apple, Google, Microsoft, and Mozilla, have won a tug-of-war with the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C), the standards body for the World Wide Web, effectively proving that without their support, the W3C's ability to regulate web standards is nonexistent.
\" /]
When competitors own standards criteria, 'standards' becomes an oxymoron.

Also, I always preferred W3C documentation over WHATWG's.

The article indicates that the named browser vendors had cooperated to produce their own standard because they did not like the one W3C had come up with. That is not necessarily a bad thing, you know the saying "A camel is a horse designed by a committee"? I have no idea what camel W3C came up with but if the browser vendows refuse to implement it, I'd assume there was something fundamentally wrong with it.

--
spammus ergo sum, viruses courtesy of https://www.nsa.gov/malware/