Web lists-archives.com

Re: Better eMail Server

On 5/23/19 8:24 AM, Mark Rousell wrote:

Reply initially sent privately by mistake. Sorry for the duplication,
Mark.

> On 23/05/2019 12:49, Brian wrote:
>>
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> All the technical problems with zoho.com's mail server
>>> are driving me nuts.  And zoho will help you with
>>> your problems, but their's, it is go to hell.
>>>
>>> gMail is technically sound, but invades your privacy
>>> with reckless abandon.
>>>
>>> Proton does not work with Thunderbird unless you rent
>>> a translator utility from them.
>>>
>>> Anyone have a security mail server they like that is
>>> imap and Thunderbird friendly?
>>>
>> I've used Pair Networks for the last 20+ years (https://www.pair.com)
>> but they are really a web hosting company with a domain registrar
>> offshoot, so their minimum package provides you your mail, ftp and web
>> and costs from $5.95/month according to their website (I have a
>> grandfathered rate, one of their promises was that they would never
>> raise their rates, and I'm still paying 1997 rates). They've been
>> absolutely rock solid in my experience, and their support is first class.
>>
>> No interest other than as a happy customer.
>>
>> Brian.
>
> If you want to run your own server then, on Windows, I'd recommend
> MailEnable Standard. This handles IMAP, POP3, SMTP and SSL just fine and
> is free.
> http://www.mailenable.com/
>
> (And, to be fair, this is obviously not a Thunderbird support question
> and the OP would help themselves to be helped if they used a working
> email address).

I'm not getting at the moderator for deciding the exchange is
off-topic, that's his right to do so. I'm getting at the moderator for
doing so without giving ANY public indication on the list that he's
done so. The OP, as far as I can see, has no way to tell between
nobody answering and answers being blocked, other than monitoring this
list on the off-chance.

I don't know where you're located - but as regards running your own
servers, at least here in the USA, many ISPs will bar you from doing
this (and block traffic on various ports) unless you buy a commercial
account, usually at significant extra expense. My ISP (Fairpoint, now
Consolidated after the takeover) is one such ISP, which is why I use
Pair Networks.

Brian.

--
GPG Public Key: http://www.patandbrian.org/brians_key.asc