Web lists-archives.com

Re: Better ramp up your paranoia some more

In <news:LMCdnXwB-Y51IEPBnZ2dnUU7-LfNnZ2d@xxxxxxxxxxx>,
Wolf K <wolfmac@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>  From Pitstop, 13 May 2019:
>
> https://techtalk.pcpitstop.com/2019/05/13/russian-hacking-group-breached-av-companies/?3avsexposed=&utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=may_newsletter_3&ad_id=506022&share-ad-id=1

<https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/fxmsp-chat-logs-reveal-the-hacked-antivirus-vendors-avs-respond/>

tl;dr: Symantec, McAfee, and Trend Micro are the vendors, with varying
degrees of proof. Symantec claims they're not affected, Trend admits
breach but claims it's no biggie, McAfee neither confirms nor denies.

> Sleep well.

I only have one Windows install, which is already intentionally
infested with third-party spyware -- Steam.  It's only connected to the
intertubes when Steam won't let me play any more without connecting,
and then only long enough to run Windows Update (which updates
Defender) and satisfy Steam. I hope the Russians don't control it, but
that's all I'm willing to do to keep it "safe".