Web lists-archives.com

Re: AVG Anti-Virus Free problem

Brian wrote:
On 4/21/19 9:42 PM, Cows are Nice wrote:

<...>

I thought that Unix didn't run on the IBM-compatible X86 PC
microcomputer that ordinary citizens could afford, and that was why
Torvalds rewrote it.

It was on a different project to the one on which I was working, but
my recollection is that we had an 80286 PC running some version of
Unix at the software house at which I worked in the mid-1980s. When I
said I investigated SCO Unix, it was definitely on an 80286-based
machine, I have no knowledge of anything Unix-ish which worked on a PC
XT.

Brian

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interactive_Systems_Corporation#PC/IX

"Although observers in the early 1980s expected that IBM would choose Microsoft Xenix or a version from AT&T Corporation as the Unix for its microcomputer,[9] PC/IX was the first Unix implementation for the IBM PC XT available directly from IBM.[10]"

Jim