Web lists-archives.com

Re: AVG Anti-Virus Free problem

On 4/20/19 3:14 PM, 😉 Good Guy 😉 wrote:
> On 20/04/2019 17:59, WaltS48 wrote:
>>

>> But just in case they are.
>>
>> <https://vitux.com/secure-ubuntu-with-clamav-antivirus/>
>>
>> Installed on both my Ubuntu and Mint versions of Linux which are
>> both better than the Microsoft junk on my laptop. ;)
>>

> That might be the case but the OP is using Windows and he asked about
> something called "AVG Anti-Virus Free".  There is no point in telling
> him what other people are using because he can surely use common sense
> to work that out unless Luis knows that the OP is demented and needs
> some guidance like an old person suffering from dementia.  I don't
> make assumptions about people although the only assumption I make is
> that the poster has some common sense which may not be common with all
> the people on this planet!!!
>
> So you really think that Microsoft is Junk?  Why is there products so
> widely used by people in this world?  As I understand it, Linux (or
> its variant) was around well before Microsoft started yet it over took
> Linux in all departments.  do you know why?  People keep telling us
> that they are stuck in using Windows because they have already
> invested in software and training so they can't change.  If this is
> true then why did this NOT happen with Linux when there was nothing to
> compete against them?  Surely Microsoft did something right to win all
> those users.

Linus Torvalds posted the original Usenet message which started the
Linux project in either 1992 or 1993, AFAIR, more than a decade after
Microsoft bought the code that became MS-DOS 1.0. I suspect you're
confusing Linux and Unix. Unix has been around longer than Microsoft,
but in those days at least, it was emphatically NOT a free package.
Shortly after leaving university (early 1980s) I investigated getting
a copy of Unix on a PC, and was quoted around 500 pounds sterling for
a single user copy of SCO Unix. Yes, I got a copy of MS-DOS on my PC,
same as everyone else buying an IBM PC (or a clone) around that time.

If Linux had been available for free in those days, things may indeed
have worked out very differently. What Microsoft proved beyond all
doubt is that their pricing strategy and marketing techniques were
infinitely superior to that of the Unix vendors.

Brian.

--
GPG Public Key: http://www.patandbrian.org/brians_key.asc