Web lists-archives.com

Re: puzzling junk mail

On 2/5/2019 9:38 PM, Wolf K wrote:
On 2019-02-05 16:26, Brian wrote:
[...]
Again, for the sake of clarity, I'm*NOT*  asking how to deal with the
junk, I'm just curious because I don't understand what it is that
they're trying to achieve. Pure ASCII e-mail, no links, no remote
content.

Brian.

OK, sorry for misunderstanding.

FWIW, I occasionally get spam from legit addresses, it looks like someone has scraped the sender's address and is using it for whatever purpose(s) they want. Which, as you say, is not always obvious.... :-)

I have had some from my own address. In one case it was a long and detailed threat, very well written although it was from China, threatening to put a video I had made all over the Internet. I have never made a video online. I reported it. Do they send these out on spec?

--
Myth, after all, is what we believe naturally. History is what we must painfully learn and struggle to remember. -Albert Goldman