Web lists-archives.com

Re: puzzling junk mail

On 2019-02-05 15:13, Brian wrote:
I'm baffled by the increasing amounts of e-mails I'm receiving which
are requests for a quotation on computer equipment, sent to my 'real'
address, not this one which I use for mailing lists. I've never traded
in computer hardware, and my address is even a .org domain, as you can
see.

Can anybody explain to me what the junk mail is trying to achieve? Is
it just some sort of check to see whether my address bounces? WHY?

They want you to click on the Contact link. Don't do it. IMO, the most likely effect will be dumping some malware onto your computer.

If you really want to what the Contact link is/does, do a "Save As", and select "text" as the file type. You can then open it in a text editor such as Notepad, and find out what's in there without triggering malware, or feedback to the source, or etc.

The latest example is appended to this message.

Thanks,

Brian.
[...]

It's likely that your email has been scraped from one or more of your correspondents (including any on-line vendor that wanted your email), and then sold (along with thousands of others).

For each such message, right click on the header, then Mark As Junk. Check your Junk folder every day or so to see whether legit mail has landed there, if so Mark that as Not Junk.

FWIW, I have an email for online use only. I don't sub to mailing lists, if I did, I'd set up another address for that.

--
Wolf K
kirkwood40.blogspot.com