Web lists-archives.com

Re: Automatically Updated - Against My Wishes

=?UTF-8?B?8J+YiSBHb29kIEd1eSDwn5iJ?= <Hello.World@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in

> On 22/11/2018 16:03, John McGaw wrote:
>
> The mistake people make is they use their machine while logged in as
> Administrator.  That is bad;  In fact a very bad habit but we can't
tell
> them to change their habits.

I have had cases where both Thunderbird and Firefox have upgraded against
my wishes even though I had specifically changed the settings to not
update. This has happened on Linux systems (both Debian and Mint) in a
standard user account (NOT root or admin level) where I have a LOCAL
install (ie: I installed it to MY account to keep it separate from the
systems intallation). As a developer of extensions I often want to test
against different versions of Thunderbird (and Firefox) and this update
issue causes lots of problems.

> when prompted.  Therefore, nothing can get installed without the user
> knowing anything about it.  So when people come here and say something
> like:  "Automatically Updated - Against My Wishes" I sit back and
giggle
> a bit.  How can this be possible!!!  etc etc.

Do you have a suggestion on how to stop Thunderbird updating without
permission? This topic has already been raised by someone else and there
were no fixes suggested. Your comment about not using Administrator level
accounts is valid but fails to address the issue. Please stay on topic.