Web lists-archives.com

Re: [OT] Re: Word of Warning !

On 10/03/2018 01:00 PM, Tanstaafl wrote:
> On 9/24/2018, 3:36:52 AM, PietB <www.godfatherof.nl/@opt-in.invalid> wrote:
>> FredW wrote:
>>> I had an email exchange with Chris Ilias.
>>> He explained that I called someone a xenophobe and that was
>>> considered to be a personal attack.
>
>> Really? Next time call him President of the United States.
>> That boils down to the same, but won't trigger a filter.
>
> I wonder which President you're referring to... certainly not the
> current one, as the false allegations that he is a racist, rapist,
> xenophobe, etc have all been totally debunked since a long time ago.

A post which basically, if maybe unintentionally, sums up the problem
with American society at the moment.

The political middle ground has been vacated, everything has polarised
to left or right. In the eyes of some, Trump can do no right, while in
the eyes of others, he can do no wrong. Bipartisanship is dead,
replaced by majority votes along party political lines on all matters.
The USA is no longer a constitutional Republic, but an elective
dictatorship.

I cannot see this changing unless and until the USA splits up into at
least two separate countries (geographical considerations mean it's
more likely to be at least three, it's a hell of a long way between
New England and the West coast).

It does amaze me how the Republicans get the poorest members of
society to vote for them, that's something I will never understand.
Whatever do the poor think that the Republicans will do for them?

I write this as a resident of (one of?) the poorest, but still solidly
Republican in 2016, counties in Maine.

I have friends who voted Republican in 2016. Their reward was for the
wife to learn that she would be barred from renewing her existing
green card because the family had accepted food stamps. Fortunately
for her husband and two (US citizen) teenage children, I'd already
persuaded her to go down the path to full citizenship on the basis of
her marriage to a US citizen. She was made a citizen earlier this
year, and that's two voters who will vote Democrat for the mid-terms.

Brian.