Web lists-archives.com

Re: TB/FF Weirdness

On 09/24/2018 07:15 AM, WaltS48 wrote:
On 9/24/18 12:21 AM, The Real Bev wrote:
On 09/23/2018 04:46 PM, WaltS48 wrote:
On 9/23/18 7:25 PM, Big Al wrote:
On 09/23/2018 07:11 PM, WaltS48 wrote:
On 9/23/18 2:31 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
Yesterday I changed the name of the link in /usr/bin from
'firefox' to '52ESRfirefox'.  It pointed at the same place,
which is NOT the version of firefox I'm using.

This morning I was unable to click on a link in Thunderbird
and have it open in my browser even thought FF62 was open.
Restarted everything, rebooted, no change.  Changed the
link's name back to 'firefox' and everything is normal now
-- links open in FF62, the one that I'm actually using,
even though the version in the link is different.

WTF?

A symbolic link /usr/bin/firefox to the /usr/lib/firefox
executable?

I don't think changing the name of a symbolic link is going
to change the file it runs. Recreating the link would.

FWIW, I don't have a /usr/bin/firefox link. Maybe because I
start all my Firefox versions from the Profile Manager, so it
opens first.

I also can't check the properties of the Ubuntu installed
Firefox to see where the command is located. I suspect it is
the /usr/lib/firefox/firefox or /usr/lib/firefox/firefox-bin
file.

My Nightly is installed in ~/Apps/Nightly and the command is
/home/walts48/Apps/fxNightly/firefox/firefox -p

In a command prompt: whereis firefox will tell you where it may
be located.   I get: firefox: /usr/bin/firefox /usr/lib/firefox
/etc/firefox

/usr/bin/firefox points to an old version. /usr/lib/firefox just
contains a plugins subdirectory which contains a soft link to
picasa from 2008.  Google puts its stuff in /opt/ which is
annoying. /root/sbin/firefox is just a link to FF61.  I'd forgotten
that that was there.

/usr/share/man/man1/firefox.1.gz

Obviously some are commands and some other things.

Ah, missed it when I looked before.

/usr/bin/firefox is a link to /usr/lib/firefox/firefox.sh.

Perhaps that's created if you 'install' firefox.  I don't, I just
execute it.
Now we know why you have problems. :)

I like doing things by hand. Then I know it's done right! Or at least I know where to point the finger when things go very wrong.

I don't like files being sprinkled all over the system like windows does it. When I was using windows I liked the .ini files. If you screwed one up you just went back to the one that worked and tried again. I felt much less comfy editing the registry. ANYTHING could happen. I got gun-shy before I started using linux.

I wish my live-in consultant had chosen a more user-friendly distribution, but there weren't any when he started running linux :-( In general the problems I have are not HIS problems, and it's hard for him to understand why I see some of them as problems. He also didn't understand why anybody would want a spreadsheet program. Different worlds.

--
Cheers, Bev
   Some people are like Slinkies... Not really good for