Web lists-archives.com

Re: TB/FF Weirdness

On 9/24/18 12:21 AM, The Real Bev wrote:
On 09/23/2018 04:46 PM, WaltS48 wrote:
On 9/23/18 7:25 PM, Big Al wrote:
On 09/23/2018 07:11 PM, WaltS48 wrote:
On 9/23/18 2:31 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
Yesterday I changed the name of the link in /usr/bin from 'firefox'
to '52ESRfirefox'.  It pointed at the same place, which is NOT the
version of firefox I'm using.

This morning I was unable to click on a link in Thunderbird and have
it open in my browser even thought FF62 was open.  Restarted
everything, rebooted, no change.  Changed the link's name back to
'firefox' and everything is normal now -- links open in FF62, the one
that I'm actually using, even though the version in the link is
different.

WTF?

A symbolic link /usr/bin/firefox to the /usr/lib/firefox executable?

I don't think changing the name of a symbolic link is going to change
the file it runs. Recreating the link would.

FWIW, I don't have a /usr/bin/firefox link. Maybe because I start all
my Firefox versions from the Profile Manager, so it opens first.

I also can't check the properties of the Ubuntu installed Firefox to
see where the command is located. I suspect it is the
/usr/lib/firefox/firefox or /usr/lib/firefox/firefox-bin file.

My Nightly is installed in ~/Apps/Nightly and the command is
/home/walts48/Apps/fxNightly/firefox/firefox -p

In a command prompt:
     whereis firefox
will tell you where it may be located.   I get:
firefox: /usr/bin/firefox /usr/lib/firefox /etc/firefox

/usr/bin/firefox points to an old version.
/usr/lib/firefox just contains a plugins subdirectory which contains
                          a soft link to  picasa from 2008.  Google puts its stuff
                           in /opt/ which is annoying.
/root/sbin/firefox is just a link to FF61.  I'd forgotten that that was there.

/usr/share/man/man1/firefox.1.gz

Obviously some are commands and some other things.

Ah, missed it when I looked before.

/usr/bin/firefox is a link to /usr/lib/firefox/firefox.sh.

Perhaps that's created if you 'install' firefox.  I don't, I just execute it.
Now we know why you have problems. :)

RAM: 8 GiB
Graphics: GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2
OS: Ubuntu Linux 18.04LTS - Gnome Desktop