Web lists-archives.com

Re: TB/FF Weirdness

On 09/23/2018 04:11 PM, WaltS48 wrote:
On 9/23/18 2:31 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
Yesterday I changed the name of the link in /usr/bin from 'firefox' to
'52ESRfirefox'.  It pointed at the same place, which is NOT the version
of firefox I'm using.

This morning I was unable to click on a link in Thunderbird and have it
open in my browser even thought FF62 was open.  Restarted everything,
rebooted, no change.  Changed the link's name back to 'firefox' and
everything is normal now -- links open in FF62, the one that I'm
actually using, even though the version in the link is different.

TB 38.  Not going to update.

WTF?

A symbolic link /usr/bin/firefox to the /usr/lib/firefox executable?

/usr/bin/firefox -> /stuff/ff52esr/firefox/firefox*

I keep stuff I install from tarballs in individual subdirectories in /stuff/ and I always download and gunzip the tarball from the mozilla site. I have a lot of FFnn subdirectories, each containing the tar.gz file and the subdirectory it creates. Each new firefox installation creates its own new profile. I generally just copy over the old profile into the new one unless I want a virgin for testing purposes. I never start firefox using the /usr/bin link; I start whatever version I want to run from within its own subdirectory:

cd /stuff/FF61/firefox
./firefox           ;maybe with a &, but generally not -- I'm just testing.

I don't think changing the name of a symbolic link is going to change
the file it runs. Recreating the link would.

You'd think :-( Changing the name so that there was no longer a 'firefox' in the executable path prevented Thunderbird from seeing a DIFFERENT version. Curiouser and curiouser.

FWIW, I don't have a /usr/bin/firefox link. Maybe because I start all my
Firefox versions from the Profile Manager, so it opens first.

I can add the -P to any of the above if I want to try a different profile, but I can't remember doing that. Starting in safe mode does NOT keep the entries in the .css files from being acted on, which seems like a mistake.

I also can't check the properties of the Ubuntu installed Firefox to see
where the command is located. I suspect it is the
/usr/lib/firefox/firefox or /usr/lib/firefox/firefox-bin file.

My Nightly is installed in ~/Apps/Nightly and the command is
/home/walts48/Apps/fxNightly/firefox/firefox -p

Slackware always installs an old version, which I ignore. I NEVER 'install' new software any more -- I don't trust the removal function if I want to get rid of the thing, I just run directly from the executable. If that doesn't work, I don't want the software -- I've had to go on search-and-destroy missions to get rid of stuff that wasn't properly deleted and I don't want to have to do that again.

I worry about Android apps doing the same thing, but I don't have any control so there's no point in worrying. Even so...

--
Cheers, Bev
  "Attention: All virgins report to Paradise immediately!!