Web lists-archives.com

Re: TB/FF Weirdness

On 09/23/2018 07:11 PM, WaltS48 wrote:
On 9/23/18 2:31 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
Yesterday I changed the name of the link in /usr/bin from 'firefox' to '52ESRfirefox'.  It pointed at the same place, which is NOT the version of firefox I'm using.

This morning I was unable to click on a link in Thunderbird and have it open in my browser even thought FF62 was open.  Restarted everything, rebooted, no change.  Changed the link's name back to 'firefox' and everything is normal now -- links open in FF62, the one that I'm actually using, even though the version in the link is different.

WTF?

A symbolic link /usr/bin/firefox to the /usr/lib/firefox executable?

I don't think changing the name of a symbolic link is going to change the file it runs. Recreating the link would.

FWIW, I don't have a /usr/bin/firefox link. Maybe because I start all my Firefox versions from the Profile Manager, so it opens first.

I also can't check the properties of the Ubuntu installed Firefox to see where the command is located. I suspect it is the /usr/lib/firefox/firefox or /usr/lib/firefox/firefox-bin file.

My Nightly is installed in ~/Apps/Nightly and the command is /home/walts48/Apps/fxNightly/firefox/firefox -p

In a command prompt:
	whereis firefox
will tell you where it may be located.   I get:
firefox: /usr/bin/firefox /usr/lib/firefox /etc/firefox
/usr/share/man/man1/firefox.1.gz

Obviously some are commands and some other things.