Web lists-archives.com

Re: Time Erases All

Daniel wrote:
Sailfish wrote on 19/09/2018 4:09 AM:
My bloviated meandering follows what Daniel graced us with on 9/18/2018 2:12 AM:
Wolf K wrote on 18/09/2018 7:48 AM:
On 2018-09-17 11:56, Sailfish wrote:
REF: https://www.recode.net/2018/9/13/17852908/roku-anthony-wood-apple-google-amazon-tv-competition-peter-kafka-media-podcast

[excerpt quote=\"
*What kind of computer were you working on* ?

Well, in middle school ... I grew up in Texas but in middle school I went to, we moved to Holland for two years and I went to the American School at the Hague and they had a PDP 11 in a room in the corner.

*I don’t know the PDP 11* .

It’s a mini computer. This was right before, right about the time Apple IIs came out.

*I remember the Commodore Pet* .
\" /]

le sigh

I shudder to think of the quizzical response if he'd mentioned IBM 360.

egads, I'm old.

Me done IBM 360... An evening class "interest" course, which began with binary code, then alphanumeric. We wrote the code, filled in little boxes on cards, took the stack of cards to the tech, and waited...

For me, it was punched-card programming at Night School in about 1981-82, then I was posted, in the Aust Army, to another Unit, where I was taught how to program a PDP-8 using it 8 (or was it 7) front panel toggle switches and an Execute button.

Then, in 1984, I was posted to another Army unit where I to learned BASIC programming on a Zeus (think Apple IIE clone) desktop. Whilst at that Unit, I did courses on 8085/Z80/6809 uPC Command language programming.

And, a couple of years later, I was teaching Computing and 8085 programming to the next generation of Army Apprentice.

Now all long gone from my memory!!

I don't know the PDP-8?
I don't know the Zeus?

Kidding aside, there was something empowering being able to program with switch registers instead of a mnemonic language like an assembler. Empowering, yes. PITA more so.

PITA more so.  Yes!!

i can't recall what PITA means but we had a PDP11 GT40 in the computerroom on which we could run a moonlander program by toggling the switches.
If you had succes you ended up with a mcdonald like graphic on the moon.
if you ran out of fuel you had bad luck. But there was a register what you could toggle to get more fuel! Humor

Karl's version of Parkinson's Law:  Work expands to exceed the time alloted it.

Fedora20
User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0 SeaMonkey/2.49.4
Build identifier: 20180711183816

ps. family: https://vinkesteijn.com