Web lists-archives.com

Re: Time Erases All

On 09/18/2018 11:29 AM, Sailfish wrote:
9/17/2018 8:40 PM:
On 09/17/2018 05:26 PM, Sailfish wrote:
My bloviated meandering follows what Wolf K graced us with on 9/17/2018

Me done IBM 360... An evening class "interest" course, which began with
binary code, then alphanumeric. We wrote the code, filled in little
boxes on cards, took the stack of cards to the tech, and waited...

Yep, MFT gave way to MVS and life was good ... until the tech dropped
the card box and one neglected to resequence them or draw the diagonal
line across the top with Mark-A-Lot. Then, on finding out, all
surrounding sound ceased and, for a split second, so did life :-)

OTOH, telling a friend "Here, I picked up your card deck while I was
OHSHIT..." with a  box of random cards was always pleasant.

heh, I often wondered back then what was more life-shortening, 5
pack-a-day smoking or dropped unsequenced card decks.

I wonder if rubber band sales dropped when card decks were no longer the most common input method.

I found out early on NOT to hurry the IT folks to load and run MY job
and to keep the mounting of tapes to a minimum. There were the few who
had more important things to attend to, like pitching pennies contests
behind the wall of memory cabinets.

Always be nice to people who can hurt you without even trying.

--
Cheers, Bev
  (On going to war over religion:) "You're basically killing each other