Web lists-archives.com

Re: Time Erases All

My bloviated meandering follows what Wolf K graced us with on 9/17/2018 2:48 PM:
On 2018-09-17 11:56, Sailfish wrote:
REF: https://www.recode.net/2018/9/13/17852908/roku-anthony-wood-apple-google-amazon-tv-competition-peter-kafka-media-podcast

[excerpt quote=\"
*What kind of computer were you working on* ?

Well, in middle school ... I grew up in Texas but in middle school I went to, we moved to Holland for two years and I went to the American School at the Hague and they had a PDP 11 in a room in the corner.

*I don’t know the PDP 11* .

It’s a mini computer. This was right before, right about the time Apple IIs came out.

*I remember the Commodore Pet* .
\" /]

le sigh

I shudder to think of the quizzical response if he'd mentioned IBM 360.

Me done IBM 360... An evening class "interest" course, which began with binary code, then alphanumeric. We wrote the code, filled in little boxes on cards, took the stack of cards to the tech, and waited...

Yep, MFT gave way to MVS and life was good ... until the tech dropped the card box and one neglected to resequence them or draw the diagonal line across the top with Mark-A-Lot. Then, on finding out, all surrounding sound ceased and, for a split second, so did life :-)

--
Sailfish