Web lists-archives.com

Re: OT: GNU Icecat

Em 09-09-2018 14:57, Sailfish escreveu:
My bloviated meandering follows what Balaco ocalaB graced us with on
9/9/2018 9:40 AM:

GNU IceCat developers dropped support for macOS, and Windows, after
version 38.8.0 in 2016: "Note that building binary packages for
Windows and macOS currently requires non-free software, so we no
longer distribute binary releases for those platforms."

The address here is not in GNU simply because that mirror was given to
me, and I kept it.

Conclusion: use Debian, then!

I'm too wedded to Windows (acquires software) to change to another OS;
although, I do have VirtualBox and may give it a try at some point.

I have heard about Iceweasel before, a few years ago, which was like "the FSF and GNU version of Firefox". Then I stopped hearing about it (but I did not search about, or anything). It changed the name to Icecat, not long ago, and I only discovered it these days due one extension: LibreJS, which I want to try. But right now (due my FF ESR 52 chosen situation) I may not try the current LibreJS, which needs Firefox 60+ (or equivalent, if other version) - and it is (or should be) compatible with other browsers with WebExtensions too, I read somewhere. A quote about LibreJS:

GNU LibreJS aims to address the JavaScript problem described in Richard
Stallman's article The JavaScript Trap*. LibreJS is a free add-on for
GNU IceCat and other Mozilla-based browsers. It blocks nonfree
nontrivial JavaScript while allowing JavaScript that is free and/or
trivial. * https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/javascript-trap.en.html

--
=
       quem você é?