Web lists-archives.com

Re: OT: GNU Icecat

Em 09-09-2018 01:43, Sailfish escreveu:
My bloviated meandering follows what Balaco ocalaB graced us with on
9/8/2018 5:07 PM:

Not to grab your thread, but GNU Icecat may be an interesting browser
I will try anytime.

Looking at its home page, it mentions that it is built from a Firefox
base with some modifications. I didn't see any commitment from them that
they will maintain XUL/XPCOM architecture that is needed to support the
previous add-ons. Is that your understanding?

Also, it's not supported on Windows and I very seldom use my smartphone
as a browser (fat fingers, farsighted, &c.)

Icecat is a browser that is entirely free software (among other details to block things that are not really free). Firefox is *not* completely free software because it comes with copyrighted parts.

About maintaining XUL arch, I am not sure of that. But either way, I will start using it due the "free-er" choices - even if the version I choose to use is not the most current.

What kind of support are you saying? According to

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_IceCat ,

it has versions for linux, Windows, Android and MacOS. Then I tried to find it to download in its page:

http://mirror.nbtelecom.com.br/gnu/gnuzilla/52.6.0/

(the directory above this one has folders for all available versions)

But there was no Windows version of 52.6.0. I had to search a bit more to find the answer. In

http://mirror.nbtelecom.com.br/gnu/gnuzilla/52.6.0/

we also read:

GNU IceCat developers dropped support for macOS, and Windows, after
version 38.8.0 in 2016: "Note that building binary packages for
Windows and macOS currently requires non-free software, so we no
longer distribute binary releases for those platforms."

The address here is not in GNU simply because that mirror was given to me, and I kept it.

Conclusion: use Debian, then!

--
=
       quem você é?