Web lists-archives.com

Re: Color Coding

On 22/08/2018 13:48, GerardJan wrote:
> Mark Rousell wrote:
>> On 22/08/2018 01:33, Mark Rousell wrote:
>> [stuff]
>>
>> Woohoo, the posting delay has gone away. Thank you to anyone who fettled
>> the mail software.
>
> Mark,
> I am not an english native, (english is not my mother tongue).
> What is the meaning of /fettle/?

I used it to mean "fixed or made better". I.e. What Rolf K suggested,
"work on piece/part to bring it best fit and/or appearance".

The word is is sometimes used, often in a slightly light-hearted manner,
in relation to (often fiddly) work repairing things, making them work
better, or making them look better. I am not certain but it might be
more common in British English than other versions of English.

If you watch the tv programme 'Wheeler Dealers' then you may hear Edd
China using the word for his mechanical work from time to time.

--
Mark Rousell