Web lists-archives.com

Re: Question about Keylogger viruses and stored Password data

Daniel <dxmm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I was out with one of my sisters tonight, and, on the way home, she
> asked about "Keylogger viruses" ... in particular, if she had saved her
> identity and password data for a site (pick a site, any site) so that
> when she went to the site, her stuff was auto-filled in, so she could
> get to a site, .... and then, after her data had been stored on her
> computer, she then got infected by a Keylogger virus, would her identity
> and password data be collected by the Keylogger??
>
> At first thought I said "NO", because no keys had been pressed ... but
> is it that simple?? Would the keylogger also register that a file had
> been accessed to supply the log-in data?? The data didn't come from the
> keyboard, but did come from somewhere.

I think your first thought is correct. If it is a 'classic' keylogger
then it captures keystrokes. It can't monitor data within the browser or
capture clicks on an on-screen keyboard.

But is it 'just' a keylogger? And if she cought that she
might have other malware, so thorough scanning etc. should be done.
--
(Remove numerics from email address)