Web lists-archives.com

Re: VoIP Computer to Computer connections!

Sailfish wrote on 16/07/2018 1:22 AM:
My bloviated meandering follows what Daniel graced us with on
7/15/2018 2:48 AM:
Sailfish wrote on 15/07/2018 11:09 AM:
My bloviated meandering follows what Daniel graced us with on 7/14/2018 2:45 AM:

You should already have Video Over the Internet, yes?

As in watching videos from Youtube, etc, Yes, but as in 'phoning my
 sister using the Laptop's built-in Camera and  Mic, No .... not
yet!! ;-)

Hmm, just to be sure, VOIP still isn't needed, nor used, for that.
You can use one of the programs already mentioned in this thread,
e.g., Skype. Mostly, what VOIP affords is being able to make regular
telco phone calls free over a large area (minus some nominal
regulatory fees). For example, my VOIP box (ooma) basic package
covers the entire US for less that $5USD/mo, more at: https://www.ooma.com/telo/home-phone-service/

The thing is, Australia telco regulation may be such that you'd need
to go through a subscription service provider but, still, it should
be less expensive than landline calling.

O.K., so it would seem I *MUST* use a program such as Skype, it's not just a matter of switching on my Camera and Mic and sending that Data where I want!

Thanks!

--
Daniel

SeaMonkey/2.49.1 Build identifier: 20171016030418

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101
SeaMonkey/2.49.1 Build identifier: 20171015235623