Web lists-archives.com

Re: VoIP Computer to Computer connections!

On 07/12/2018 09:55 PM, Sailfish wrote:
7/12/2018 2:26 PM:
On 07/12/2018 06:57 AM, Sailfish wrote:
My bloviated meandering follows what Daniel graced us with on 7/10/2018
12:34 AM:

I've had it since 2010 and while initially there would be a slight delay
between each party discussion (a irritating problem which I suspected
was my cable service's fault but could never prove, wanting to encourage
me to use their subscription service.) However, over the past couple of
years, that delay has, thankfully, been removed.

We're also happy with Ooma, but talking to another VOIP person results
in delays and interruptions working wrong.  I read somewhere that
VOIP-to-VOIP was half-duplex, which is the problem.  Talking to not-VOIP
people is 'normal'.

The only people who call me via VOIP are robo-callers (lots of them,
sadly) and I always call-block them, thus, preventing future irritation :-)

However, that's good to know about the simplex .vs duplex. That way I'll
know if I'm talking with a kindred spirit, of sorts.

According to my ooma dashboard, I've saved over $3500 since installation.

We've saved $2411 since March 2013.

Yep, in my case, that works out to be about $40/mo. savings which goes a
long way in mitigating the Charter $65/mo. sticker price.

btw, Charter/Spectrum recently added new equipment that bumps the
bandwidth from 60Mbps to 100Mbps and, so far, they haven't up'd the
price; although, their price bumps come in March so I'm not look forward
to the next bump.

Speedtests show a max of 70, more commonly 68 or so. Charter's own test just now: 66.01 down, 5.9 up. It's been that way for at least a year, maybe more.

Add a Sentry 2 device and eliminates all robocalls and most telemarketers. Scream obscenities at and then blacklist the few bastards that actually have the effrontery to claim that they're NOT telemarketers. $50 well spent.

--
Cheers, Bev
                  SAVE GAS, FART IN A JAR