Web lists-archives.com

Re: VoIP Computer to Computer connections!

On 07/12/2018 06:57 AM, Sailfish wrote:
My bloviated meandering follows what Daniel graced us with on 7/10/2018
12:34 AM:
Does anyone here use VoIP computer to computer video-phoning?? If so,
can they give a web-site address that explains how to set things up??

I might be getting adventurous!!

My cable service offered a subscription VOIP but I've opted for the
one-time purchase of the ooma VOIP box (https://www.ooma.com/). Note:
I'm not sure whether it is available "down under - Where women glow and
men plunder"?

I've had it since 2010 and while initially there would be a slight delay
between each party discussion (a irritating problem which I suspected
was my cable service's fault but could never prove, wanting to encourage
me to use their subscription service.) However, over the past couple of
years, that delay has, thankfully, been removed.

We're also happy with Ooma, but talking to another VOIP person results in delays and interruptions working wrong. I read somewhere that VOIP-to-VOIP was half-duplex, which is the problem. Talking to not-VOIP people is 'normal'.

Installation was relatively simple, connect an Ethernet cable from the
box to an open router port and then connect a telco phone line from box
to you phone, then plug it in to a power outlet. The box sells for about
$100USD in the states.

Notes:

1. For cabling compactness, I located my portable phone base station and
ooma box together and close to the router.
2. By default, ooma gives you a new phone number but I was able to
transfer my old number to it for a nominal fee.
3. For power outage situations, I've also connected my modem, router,
ooma box and phone base station to a UPS box. That way, in case of an
emergency, I will still have phone service as long as the internet is
still up plus my cell phone.

According to my ooma dashboard, I've saved over $3500 since installation.

We've saved $2411 since March 2013.

--
Cheers, Bev
  Of course SoCal has four seasons: