Web lists-archives.com

Re: VoIP Computer to Computer connections!

My bloviated meandering follows what Daniel graced us with on 7/10/2018 12:34 AM:
Does anyone here use VoIP computer to computer video-phoning?? If so, can they give a web-site address that explains how to set things up??

I might be getting adventurous!!

I've had it since 2010 and while initially there would be a slight delay between each party discussion (a irritating problem which I suspected was my cable service's fault but could never prove, wanting to encourage me to use their subscription service.) However, over the past couple of years, that delay has, thankfully, been removed.

Installation was relatively simple, connect an Ethernet cable from the box to an open router port and then connect a telco phone line from box to you phone, then plug it in to a power outlet. The box sells for about $100USD in the states.

Notes:

1. For cabling compactness, I located my portable phone base station and ooma box together and close to the router. 2. By default, ooma gives you a new phone number but I was able to transfer my old number to it for a nominal fee. 3. For power outage situations, I've also connected my modem, router, ooma box and phone base station to a UPS box. That way, in case of an emergency, I will still have phone service as long as the internet is still up plus my cell phone.

According to my ooma dashboard, I've saved over $3500 since installation.

--
Sailfish