Web lists-archives.com

Re: Pi-hole Ad Blocker

My bloviated meandering follows what Caver1 graced us with on 5/15/2018 11:54 AM:
On 05/15/2018 02:27 PM, Sailfish wrote:
REF:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2018-05-10/inside-the-brotherhood-of-pi-hole-ad-blockers
Mini: https://tinyurl.com/Pi-HoleAdBlocker

[excerpt quote=\"
Most ad blockers have to be installed on individual devices and work
only in web browsers, but Pi-hole blocks ads across an entire network,
including in most apps. (Two big exceptions, both for technical reasons,
are YouTube and Hulu.) It can’t block ads inside Facebook, but it can
stop Facebook from following you around the web. It’ll let you play
Bejeweled without seeing ads between games, watch Mr. Robot ad-free in
the USA app, stream NPR with silence in place of the sponsor messages,
and avoid the banner ads that have become common on internet-connected
TVs. If friends come over and connect to your Wi-Fi, it’ll block ads for
them, too.
\" /]
Anyone use this and, if so, how useful did you find it? Specifically, it
appears that it suggests using a dedicated Linux-based processor, e.g.,
Raspberry-Pi and then configuring one's router to use it's IP address as
   the DHCP DNS server. Then, using a site blacklist, it simply exchanges
blacklisted sites IP addresses with its null one; essentially, never
downloading the blacklisted site data at all.

Q1. Does using it as a DNS server slow down the internet internet data
transfer performance?

Q2. How much maintenance is involved in keeping it working reliably?

Q3. How does this compare to using a hosts file blocklist like
      https://raw.githubusercontent.com/StevenBlack/hosts/master/hosts

I haven't used Pi-hole but have used No Track which is similar.
https://quidsup.net/notrack/
1. I haven't noticed any slowdown with No Track
2. Not much as you have a web interface to update No track with.
It uses the same list as uBlock Origin.
3.It blocks all adds for the network plus blocks tracking.
I use an old computer to act as a server for No Track. No need to mess with each computer on the network. Including phones, tablets.

Thanks for the feedback on No Track, I will spend some time analyzing it as well before I make my decision.

--
Sailfish