Web lists-archives.com

Re: OT DSL re-connection!!

On Wed, 25 Apr 2018 19:37:01 +1000, Daniel
<dxmm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Thank you. Interesting! One of the other examples they give on that page
> is "dutch oven", but they don't have an explanation page for that
> expression.

My mother called her largest cast-aluminum cooking pot a "dutch oven".
Many years after leaving home, I learned that when stoves were a
luxury, large iron pots were used for baking over an open fire.  The
instructor at Becoming an Outdoorswoman also used one of the pots to
make venison chili.

I presume that in Hoosier dialect, the name stuck after the pots lost
their legs and were used only on a stovetop.  I'm told that the proper
name for a camper's dutch oven is "bake kettle".

I'm hoping to dust mine off this summer and make some bread.  Requires
a hot day to incubate the dough.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net