Web lists-archives.com

Re: Where is the access point

On 25 Apr 2018 at 22:17, Ray_Net wrote:

> Jim Fisher wrote on 24-04-18 22:23:
> > On 23 Apr 2018 at 20:50, Ray_Net wrote:
> >
> >> In Switzerland quatre-vingt(four-twenty) is octante(eighty) which is far
> >> better
> > I'm intrigued by that, and it leads to two questions in my mind:
> >
> > 1. Why octante instead of the more French sounding huitante, which would fit
> > in the most of the rest of the numbering system?
> >
> > 2. How do they spell out 90? Do they have another new word, or follow the more
> > usual French approach with octante-dix?
> >
> > Jim Fisher
> I think thta you are true...
>
> In belgium:
> 10 dix
> 20 vingt
> 30 trente
> 40 quarante
> 50 cinquante
> 60 soixante
> 70 septante
> 80 quatre-vingt
> 90 nonante
> 100 cent
>
> Same for Switzerland except for the quatre-vingt which is huitante or
> quatre-vingt ... see https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/80_%28nombre%29 .
>
> *huitante*
>
>  1. (cardinal <https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/cardinal_number>, obsolete
>     <https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Appendix:Glossary#obsolete> outside
>     Vaud, Valais and Fribourg in Switzerland, ^[1]
>     <https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/huitante#cite_note-ThibaultKnechtFrench-1>
>     and other dialects) eighty <https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/eighty>
>
>         /Il a écrit *huitante* mots./ - He wrote *eighty* words.
>

> *octante*
>
>  1. (cardinal <https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/cardinal_number>, archaic
>     <https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Appendix:Glossary#archaic>) eighty
>     <https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/eighty>
>  2.
>

>             Synonyms
>
>  3. quatre-vingts <https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/quatre-vingts#French>
>     (France, Belgium, Canada, in some Swiss cantons and most other places)
>  4. huitante <https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/huitante#French> (in some
>     cantons of Switzerland)
>

> https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/80_%28nombre%29 says:
>
> Il est une réfection du terme précédent d'après le latin octoginta. Il
> figure dans toutes les éditions du Dictionnaire de l'Académie française, au
> contraire de huitante, et était conseillé, avec septante et nonante, par les
> Instructions officielles françaises de 1945 pour faciliter l´apprentissage du
> calcul. À la fin du XIXe siècle, Littré note, dans son dictionnaire, que ce
> terme est vieilli mais est encore en usage dans le Midi de la France.
>
> It is a reconstruction of the previous term according to the Latin
> octoginta. It appears in all editions of the Dictionary of the French
> Academy, unlike eightante, and was advised, with seventy and ninety, by
> the French Official Instructions of 1945 to facilitate the learning of
> calculation.
> [...]

Thanks for that detailed explanation. Fascinating stuff, and all much more
complicated than I realised. I only knew of soixante-dix for 70, quatre-vingts
for 80 and quatre-vingts-dix for 90, and none of the regional variations.

Jim Fisher
--
http://jimellame.tumblr.com - My thoughts on freedom (needs updating)
Forget Google! I search with https://duckduckgo.com  which doesn't spy on you