Web lists-archives.com

Re: Where is the access point

On 04/25/2018 01:17 PM, Ray_Net wrote:
Jim Fisher wrote on 24-04-18 22:23:
On 23 Apr 2018 at 20:50, Ray_Net wrote:

In Switzerland quatre-vingt(four-twenty) is octante(eighty) which is far
better
I'm intrigued by that, and it leads to two questions in my mind:

1. Why octante instead of the more French sounding huitante, which would fit in
the most of the rest of the numbering system?

2. How do they spell out 90? Do they have another new word, or follow the more
usual French approach with octante-dix?

Jim Fisher
I think thta you are true...

In belgium:
10 dix
20 vingt
30 trente
40 quarante
50 cinquante
60 soixante
70 septante
80 quatre-vingt
90 nonante
100 cent

Same for Switzerland except for the quatre-vingt which is huitante or
quatre-vingt ... see https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/80_%28nombre%29 ...

"Quatre-vingt dix-neuf" seems to roll trippingly off my tongue, as if it had been mentioned, probably contemptuously, in class 60 years ago. Was that construction ever used? It seems unlikely, but saying it feels comfortable.

--
Cheers, Bev
  "Advertising is the rattling of a stick inside a swill bucket."