Web lists-archives.com

Re: Where is the access point

Wolf K wrote on 25/04/18 01:03:
On 2018-04-24 05:49, Daniel wrote:
Sailfish wrote on 24/04/18 04:00:
My bloviated meandering follows what Daniel graced us with on 4/23/2018 2:18 AM:
Sailfish wrote on 23/04/18 01:49:

I preface all my chronological-based (pictures, video, &c) files in YYYYMMDD+filename format. That way, it's easy to search through a sorted list :-)

Yeap, I had that pointed out to me previously!!

I had originally lazily and used YYMMDD+filename. Then Y2K came in I was was forced to rename what seemed like gazillions of photos. Yes, I thought about using my nifty en masse file renamer program but it turned out that many of my photos were also name differently (some with space or dash separation) so, instead of relying on the automated approach and ending up making more of a mess of it, I decided as my penance for being inconsistent, I'd do it manually. I was so upset with my past inconsistency I considered wearing a hair shirt for a month but then thought better of it.

One day, I'll have to adjust my pictures on a Family Tree website!

Currently, I might have, say, four photo's of a person, sort of baby, teen, adult, and older type of thing, but the picture title/explanation is separate to the picture, so you might be looking at the adult picture but the (single) description is for the baby photo.

Eventually, I want to import each photo into some program, add a suitable comment (e.g. "Fred Smith, aged 6 years old", or "Joe Blow, aged 65 years old"), save the revised and renamed photo image then upload the revised image to the website.

Doing this for 600-odd photo's could take me some time ... even if I knew which program would handle this on Win7 or Linux OS!!

It's easy to Add Text to na image in most free photo-viewers, including Windows Photos. Most also provide tagging. I use XnView for adding text. It's easier IMO than Irfanview's method. FastStone has a "watermark" feature, which can be used for any kind of text. Use Save As to rename the photo (but the original photo will still exist, so it's best to Save As to a new folder).

For renaming of files, this is one of several that look promising (not tested by me):
https://filehippo.com/download_ant_renamer/

Good luck,

Thank you, Wolf. Irfanview was what I was going to try to use, but now I might have to adjust my view!!

--
Daniel

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.49.1 Build identifier: 20171016030418

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.49.1 Build identifier: 20171015235623