Web lists-archives.com

Re: PSA: CCleaner recently compromised

On 4/24/2018 9:36 AM, Tanstaafl wrote:
On Mon Apr 23 2018 15:36:35 GMT-0400 (Eastern Standard Time), rebro
<rebro@domain.invalid> wrote:
Am 23.04.2018 um 20:34 schrieb Sailfish:
REF:
https://www.wired.com/story/inside-the-unnerving-supply-chain-attack-that-corrupted-ccleaner/

[excerpt quote=\"
In September, security researchers at Cisco Talos and Morphisec made a
worst nightmare-type disclosure: the ubiquitous computer cleanup tool
CCleaner had been compromised by hackers for more than a month. The
software updates users were downloading from CCleaner owner Avast—a
security company itself—had been tainted with a malware backdoor. The
incident exposed millions of computers and reinforced the threat of
so-called digital supply chain attacks, situations where trusted, widely
distributed software is actually infected by malicious code.
\" /]

Your excerpt does not mention that from the beginning on it was quite
clear that 64-bit systems were not in danger of being affected.

Or that it was 7+ MONTHS ago (in other words, old news).

I stopped updating this software after it changed after an update, and began deleting more than I had set up in earlier versions. The updated version deleted some application registration information, rendering the software unusable. I reverted to the earlier version, and have stopped updating it. Shame on THEM!