Web lists-archives.com

Re: OT: Is SSD worth the price?

On 04/19/2018 05:00 AM, T wrote:
On 04/18/2018 06:56 AM, Caver1 wrote:
On 04/17/2018 11:59 PM, T wrote:
On 04/17/2018 07:42 AM, Luis wrote:
I agree with you M$ is crap but they lead the industry along with Intel
and the others I also prefer not to mention. However, I have tried Linux
many times and still I'm not convinced. Maybe some day in the future...
who knows... By the way, I have never tried Fedora... hmmmm... Is it the
same gal with different... you know?

I forced myself to become a Linux shop.  When I need to
look something up for a Windows customer, I use my virtual
machines.

M$ has won the application wars.  In my opinion, that is the only
reason folks use Windows.  It is because they have to: no quick books,
no quicken, no point of sale software, yada, yada, yada.   I good
fast NVMe drive does go a long way to improving Windows Nein's,
oops, Ten's stability.

I adore Fedora as they keep up on things.  It is a shining example
of Kaisen (constant improvement) in action.  RHEL and clones
(CentOS) has the antidote.  I use to use them, but the instability
and the outright stress caused by them not keeping things fixed
almost drove me INSANE.  RHEL is an anti-Kaisen OS.  Windows,
on the other hand, especially Nein, is just a mess.

I am absolutely tickled with Fedora, where things get fix.

I had to write my own accounting software.

No point of sale software or none that you care for?

Oh there are some, just not anything my customers will use.
For every one Linux offering, there must be over 200
for Windows.

Many times this is from a lack of wanting to learn a new system.
And some complain about the plethora of choices in Linux.  :)

What really gets my goat is that I also do PCI (payment
card industry) consulting and Windows is the ABSOLUTE WORST
choice security speaking for a Point-of-Sale software.

And on the medical side, HIPAA compliance will fine the
crap out of you for catching ransomware, which is
a Windows thing and there are ZERO HIPAA packages
that I know out there for Linux.  Windows
again is the WORST choice.

Speaking of none that I care for, GNU Cash look every bit
as good if not better than Quickbooks, except that it
does not do payroll or inventory, which vastly reduces
its acceptance.  And there are ZERO accountants
that will take GNU Cash's files.  They literally
tell you to go home, get a Windows computer and get
Quickbooks.  Do you see a pattern here?

Once again there are other programs then Gnu Cash. I do agree about the accountants and Quickbooks. I thought there was a couple that could spit out the files in Quickbook format. I could be mistaken as I always did my own accounting.

I would adore more Linux customers.  It is just plane fun to
work on and I feel that I am giving my customer's
something of value, instead of a bug riddles hose of cards.

--
Caver1