Web lists-archives.com

Re: Thoughts on Brave Browser?

On 04/15/2018 12:43 PM, Sailfish wrote:
My bloviated meandering follows what Desiree graced us with on 4/14/2018
5:33 PM:
On 4/12/2018 10:41 AM, Sailfish wrote:
My bloviated meandering follows what Caver1 graced us with on 4/12/2018
5:58 AM:
On 04/12/2018 12:59 AM, Sailfish wrote:
My bloviated meandering follows what WaltS48 graced us with on
4/11/2018
2:49 PM:

Thanks, Walt. Honestly, I haven't tried any of the one based on the
webKit engine and probably won't until forced to after 52ESR is
de-supported. However, looking over that link, it doesn't appear offer
anywhere near what I use TMP for, such as:

- Force to open in new tab
- Open duplicate tabs next to original
- Open all sources (bookmarks, URLbar, search bar, &c) in tabs
- Enable upto 99 undo closed tabs
etc <- to name a few

Basilisk can use TMP.
https://www.basilisk-browser.org/

I see it created and maintained by team behind Pale Moon. Did they split
off from Pale Moon folks? Are they a splinter group within Pale Moon?

Also, I had installed Pale Moon several months back and was displeased
with its support of several of my extensions, including TMP.

Does it have an extension site similar to AMO where one can install user
add-ons?

TIA

Basilisk is great.  I used Pale Moon for years but could not upgrade to
ver 27 because all my tab related extensions from Piro were not
supported in ver 27 although someone did port a basic TBE to ver 27 but
it is is not the same.  So, I continued with Pale Moon 26x and Fx 52x
ESR and also got Vivaldi but it is so extremely messy looking now that I
seldom use it.

Then Basilisk was created and I got it immediately and love it.  It's
not a split off and Pale Moon will always be there and be supported and
updated.  Basilisk is built on a new platform UXP and Pale Moon will be
moved to it soon.  The Pale Moon forum has a section just for Basilisk
and you can learn more about it there.

https://forum.palemoon.org/viewforum.php?f=61

First, thanks for the info and the link. After reading the "Don't
understand the difference between Basilisk & Pale Moon" thread, I
finally found this in Tobin's response below:

REF: https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?p=138579#p138579

[excerpt quote=\"
Basilisk is NOT the future.. Basilisk is NOT replacing Pale Moon.. Get
that damned notion out of your heads right now..

Basilisk is simply an Australis-class browser that has DRM and WebRTC
and theoretical WebExtensions.. Pale Moon isn't Australis and doesn't
have DRM and WebRTC or WebExtensions..
\" /]

However, while that somewhat clarifies the situation, it does muddies
its future. It seems to suggest that they will be maintaining two
parallel browser versions. Providing feature upgrades and proper
maintenance for one browser is difficult enough but planning on doing it
for two distinct browsers seems daunting. Also, the response below seems
to suggest that it's most being used as an ongoing testbed rather that
viable product for funding.

REF: https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?p=134479#p134479

[excerpt quote=\"
Maintained? Indefinitely. Supported? Well it is in perpetual beta status
so basically, at our sufferance. Improved, advanced, etc? That depends
on the Basilisk userbase and contributors.. and demand.

Do know that any improvements made to the platform do improve Basilisk's
non-application specific functions.
\" /]

I'll will install Basilisk and use it in test mode but won't make it my
default browser until I get a better understanding of the complete
reasoning behind this. A development staff needs funding to survive and
it's not clear how they intend to acquire it and how two distinct
browsers will play into getting the needed funding.

While New Tobin Paradigm says that Basilisk is not the future of Pale moon.
Moonchild says that it is.
"UXP applications retain full customization and freedom in application layout code, so the "look and feel" will not significantly change when Pale Moon is moved to the new platform (somewhere in 2018). Basilisk will allow us to develop and mature UXP so it'll be ready when we want to move over to it."
https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?p=127347#p127347
No Palemoon will not be Basilisk but Palemoon will use the mature UXP that is developed in Basilisk.
--
Caver1