Web lists-archives.com

Re: Thoughts on Brave Browser?

On 4/12/2018 10:41 AM, Sailfish wrote:
My bloviated meandering follows what Caver1 graced us with on 4/12/2018
5:58 AM:
On 04/12/2018 12:59 AM, Sailfish wrote:
My bloviated meandering follows what WaltS48 graced us with on 4/11/2018
2:49 PM:

Thanks, Walt. Honestly, I haven't tried any of the one based on the
webKit engine and probably won't until forced to after 52ESR is
de-supported. However, looking over that link, it doesn't appear offer
anywhere near what I use TMP for, such as:

- Force to open in new tab
- Open duplicate tabs next to original
- Open all sources (bookmarks, URLbar, search bar, &c) in tabs
- Enable upto 99 undo closed tabs
etc <- to name a few

Basilisk can use TMP.
https://www.basilisk-browser.org/

I see it created and maintained by team behind Pale Moon. Did they split
off from Pale Moon folks? Are they a splinter group within Pale Moon?

Also, I had installed Pale Moon several months back and was displeased
with its support of several of my extensions, including TMP.

Does it have an extension site similar to AMO where one can install user
add-ons?

TIA

Basilisk is great. I used Pale Moon for years but could not upgrade to ver 27 because all my tab related extensions from Piro were not supported in ver 27 although someone did port a basic TBE to ver 27 but it is is not the same. So, I continued with Pale Moon 26x and Fx 52x ESR and also got Vivaldi but it is so extremely messy looking now that I seldom use it.

Then Basilisk was created and I got it immediately and love it. It's not a split off and Pale Moon will always be there and be supported and updated. Basilisk is built on a new platform UXP and Pale Moon will be moved to it soon. The Pale Moon forum has a section just for Basilisk and you can learn more about it there.

https://forum.palemoon.org/viewforum.php?f=61

The thing I like most about Basilisk is that, since it is forked off Fx 55, it can use all traditional extensions from AMO that work on Fx 55 AND can use many web extensions also. So, all my tab related extensions from Piro work and so do some old XUL extensions and some new web extensions. The extensions that Pale Moon has developed work on it also. Plus, CTR works fine!!! It's been my default browser for some time now.

The only thing I don't like about it is that I use desktops (Windows 8.0 Pro and Windows 10 (1709) Pro and my computers run 24/7/365. I don't shut down my browsers at night but with Basilisk I have shut it down every night as it eats an enormous amount of RAM. Moonchild says that is an errant tab causing the problem but I am dubious because I can open the same set of tabs in Fx 52x ESR and leave both browsers running and Fx uses about half the RAM.