Web lists-archives.com

Re: Thoughts on Brave Browser?

On 4/12/18 11:46 AM, John Sterling wrote:
On Thursday, April 12, 2018 at 11:44:57 AM UTC-4, John Sterling wrote:
On Wednesday, April 11, 2018 at 5:49:52 PM UTC-4, WaltS48 wrote:
On 4/11/18 4:33 PM, Sailfish wrote:
My bloviated meandering follows what johnasterlingco@xxxxxxxxx graced us
with on 4/11/2018 12:35 PM:
I'd like to know what Mozilla leaders thinks of the Brave Software Inc
Brave Browser. It's ad block by default with using blockchain tech to
pay websites and cleanup ads is a pretty awesome idea.  I have some
concerns with their ability to monopolize if they are successful. I
know that Brendan Eich was a higher up in Mozilla a few years back, I
know there could be some hard feelings... but I'm hoping to find some
good discussions about the merits of what Brave is doing and what
Mozilla is doing. I'm considering which (or both) to continue to
support (by telling friends, donations and possibly coding).

If you aren't familiar with the Brave Browser, here is a summary along
with a few of my concerns:

Brave addresses the ad issue on the web:
* Content providers aren’t getting enough money, meaning we (users)
are losing content (nothing is free)
* Fraud – something like 7 billion dollars per year lost to fraud and
not paying for your content or apps
* Malware – ex. Ads doing bitcoin mining in the background
* Horribly distracting – especially auto-start video ads
* Takes time for you device to download and display ads on each page

Brave browser:
* simplifies the ad system be removing middle players and providing
much more security
* Allows micropayments instead of advertising if users choose to do so
* might be setting itself up to be a monopoly – I worry about that a lot
* Brave Software Inc is a privately held company, I don’t like the
idea of doing open source work that makes a private company money… but
the cause they are supporting still seems worthwhile.  I wish they
were non-profit.

Good summaries:
https://www.brave.com/how-to-fix-the-web/
https://hackernoon.com/why-im-bullish-on-bat-and-the-brave-browser-in-2018-8e2cbc0ce420

If they provided the tab functionality of TMP, then I'd switch in a
heartbeat; otherwise, I'll stick with Fx52.xESR for as long as I can.

Have you tried Vivaldi?

https://vivaldi.com/features/

I took a look just now at Vivaldi, the one thing I find exciting is that it is employee owned.  I like that because my post is about activism, not just what is the best browser.

On that note, I'm not sure you understand what I'm looking for.
The web and our society are having serious issues and Brave's strategy for handling ads looks like a good way to mitigate a piece of that.

There is also a huge problem with proprietary apps and apps (and websites) that manipulate the users and get them to waste their time.  A different corporate model is needed I think for those issues, Brave doesn't have that.  Open source projects have some of that but I think really give most of the power to the developers and not the users.  Vivladi being employee owned is interesting because of that.

Really though - I want to hear what Mozilla thinks of the Brave browser project - Branden used to be a leader at Mozilla and is now doing this project, so they have to be very aware.

also - is there a way to participate in this google group without having your email address displayed?  I don't want to start getting spam because some bot scanned a google group or email.

Most of us use the mozilla.general newsgroups on the news.mozilla.org news server or the mailing list for these posts.

Information about all the groups can be found here.

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/about/forums/

You won't be reaching any Mozilla employees here in this newsgroup.

--
GO PENS!
Ubuntu 16.04LTS - Unity Desktop