Web lists-archives.com

Re: Thoughts on Brave Browser?

On Wednesday, April 11, 2018 at 5:49:52 PM UTC-4, WaltS48 wrote:
> On 4/11/18 4:33 PM, Sailfish wrote:
> > My bloviated meandering follows what johnasterlingco@xxxxxxxxx graced us
> > with on 4/11/2018 12:35 PM:
> >> I'd like to know what Mozilla leaders thinks of the Brave Software Inc
> >> Brave Browser. It's ad block by default with using blockchain tech to
> >> pay websites and cleanup ads is a pretty awesome idea.  I have some
> >> concerns with their ability to monopolize if they are successful. I
> >> know that Brendan Eich was a higher up in Mozilla a few years back, I
> >> know there could be some hard feelings... but I'm hoping to find some
> >> good discussions about the merits of what Brave is doing and what
> >> Mozilla is doing. I'm considering which (or both) to continue to
> >> support (by telling friends, donations and possibly coding).
> >>
> >> If you aren't familiar with the Brave Browser, here is a summary along
> >> with a few of my concerns:
> >>
> >> Brave addresses the ad issue on the web:
> >> * Content providers aren’t getting enough money, meaning we (users)
> >> are losing content (nothing is free)
> >> * Fraud – something like 7 billion dollars per year lost to fraud and
> >> not paying for your content or apps
> >> * Malware – ex. Ads doing bitcoin mining in the background
> >> * Horribly distracting – especially auto-start video ads
> >> * Takes time for you device to download and display ads on each page
> >>
> >> Brave browser:
> >> * simplifies the ad system be removing middle players and providing
> >> much more security
> >> * Allows micropayments instead of advertising if users choose to do so
> >> * might be setting itself up to be a monopoly – I worry about that a lot
> >> * Brave Software Inc is a privately held company, I don’t like the
> >> idea of doing open source work that makes a private company money… but
> >> the cause they are supporting still seems worthwhile.  I wish they
> >> were non-profit.
> >>
> >> Good summaries:
> >> https://www.brave.com/how-to-fix-the-web/
> >> https://hackernoon.com/why-im-bullish-on-bat-and-the-brave-browser-in-2018-8e2cbc0ce420
> >>

> > If they provided the tab functionality of TMP, then I'd switch in a
> > heartbeat; otherwise, I'll stick with Fx52.xESR for as long as I can.
> >

> Have you tried Vivaldi?
>
> https://vivaldi.com/features/
>
> --
> Best name ever! Cadet Bone Spurs
> NRA = Newly Recruited Activists
> National Popular Vote <http://www.nationalpopularvote.com/>
> Ubuntu 16.04LTS - Unity Desktop

I took a look just now at Vivaldi, the one thing I find exciting is that it is employee owned.  I like that because my post is about activism, not just what is the best browser.

On that note, I'm not sure you understand what I'm looking for.
The web and our society are having serious issues and Brave's strategy for handling ads looks like a good way to mitigate a piece of that.

There is also a huge problem with proprietary apps and apps (and websites) that manipulate the users and get them to waste their time.  A different corporate model is needed I think for those issues, Brave doesn't have that.  Open source projects have some of that but I think really give most of the power to the developers and not the users.  Vivladi being employee owned is interesting because of that.

Really though - I want to hear what Mozilla thinks of the Brave browser project - Branden used to be a leader at Mozilla and is now doing this project, so they have to be very aware.